Unit 8: Cognition and Language
Bernstein Text Chapter 8 Pp. 275-319
Notes Check Pp. 275-319 due 2/08(b-day), 2/09(a-day)
Flash Cards due 2/08 and 2/09
Study Guide exercises due 2/16 and 2/17
Read and take Cornell Notes
1. Skim quickly – pay attention to headings, photos etc. - PREDICT
2. Go back and take your notes.
a. Make sure each heading and subheading is in your notes
b. Make sure you write at least a main idea for each one
c. Make sure all “boxed” definitions are in your notes
d. Draw all important diagrams and label them.
e. Make note of any examples or mnemonics that will help you
3. Carefully read the summary at the end of the chapter and add key information to your notes.
4. Check that you organized your notes to create a new web of meaning in your brain. How are your synapses doing?
Bernstein Study Guide Chapter 8 Pp. Starts on P. 229
(You will be graded for completing and correcting them, not for how many you got right.)
1. Skim outline and key terms: Pp. 229- 238– Make sure you know underlined terms and that they are in your notes. -- Note examples and mnemonics
2. On a separate sheet, do Fill-In-The-Blanks on P. 238 Write the questionand answer it without looking at the book or your notes. Then check your answers. For each wrong answer, write the correct answer and be sure the information is in your notes.
3. Make flashcards of all KEY TERMS – They must have pictures and/or examples in your own words or they won’t count.
4. Do BOTH multiple choice sample quizzes that start on P. 242. Do quiz 1 first check and correct it, review the notes then do quiz 2 and check it. - IF YOU GOT IT WRONG, you MUST write the correct answer and why you picked the wrong one. What were you thinking, how can you change your thinking to LEARN the material.
UNIT QUIZ on 2/16 (a) and 2/17 (b)