Here are links to resources for our Consumer Education unit.
1 - Why am I broke all the time?
2 - What security deposit?
3 - Pay myself first?
4 - As seen on TV:
5 - The story of stuff.
6 - Scams, spam and getting slammed:
7 - I wish my parents were rich!
8 - But I thought I was making 10 bucks an hour...
9 - Pay the man.
10 - Oh Lord, Won't ya buy me a Mercedes Benz..
11 - A cheeseburger costs $487.63!
12 - If it seems too good to be true...
13 - How Insurance can save your butt...
Consumer Education Projects
Your job is to become an expert on one of the following topics and then teach the important ideas about it to the class. Your final grades in the class and your consumer education credit depend on your project, your presentation and a final exam.
- “Why am I broke all the time?” How and why to do a personal budget.
- “What security deposit?” How to rent an apartment.
- “Pay myself first? What the…?” The how and why of savings.
- “As seen on TV.” The power of advertising.
- “The story of stuff.” How do my buying habits affect the world?
- “Scams, spam and getting slammed.” How to avoid getting ripped off online and in the real world.
- “I wish my parents were rich.” How to pay for college and not get buried in debt.”
- “But I thought I was making 10 bucks an hour!” What to expect from wages. Where does all the money go from your paycheck?
- “Pay the man.” How to do your taxes.
- “Oh Lord, won’t ya buy me a Mercedes Benz.” How to buy cars and other expensive stuff. (or just take the train)
- “A cheeseburger costs $487.63?” How to avoid credit card debt.
- “If it seems too good to be true...” How bad consumer decisions contributed to the recent financial crisis.
- "I always use protection!" How Insurance can save your butt.
- "I want it NOW!" How to separate needs from wants and base consumer decisions on your core values.
Each team must create:
* A one-page handout with key ideas which will be printed and distributed. (10pts)
* An activity so students can practice using the information. This can be a worksheet, a game, an online activity or some other learning tool. (10pts)
* A 10 question multiple choice quiz on your topic. (10pts)
In addition to the above, each team must present their information to the class through a PowerPoint presentation, a video, a website or other product (20pts). The presentation should be 15 minutes long and the activity should take 20 to 30 minutes.