Unit 2: Research in Psychology
Reading assignment notes check (10 pts): Due Monday, Sept. 16th
Flashcards (see below) (20 pts): Due Friday Sept 20th
Quiz on Unit 2 (with some questions from Unit 1) on Monday Sept. 23rd
Quiz will be multiple choice and have a writing component.
Objectives (think about these as you read) – If you know these you will do well:
1. What methods do psychologists use to learn about behavior and mental processes?
2. How is “Critical Thinking” important for psychological research?
3. What role do theories play in psychological research?
4. Describe and compare the following research methods: Naturalistic Observation, Case Studies, Surveys, Correlational Studies, Experiments.
5. Explain the ethical issues in using human and animal subjects for psych research.
6. What statistics do psych researchers use?
7. What are the ethical guidelines psych researchers must follow?
8. Describe aspects of an experiment including Independent and Dependent Variables, Control and Experimental Groups, Informed Consent and how Placebos are used.
Bernstein Text Chapter 2 Pp. 27 - 57
Read and take Cornell notes based on your reading instructions. Write down how long it takes you to complete the reading and notes so you can know what to expect in terms of studying for future chapters.
1. Make flashcards for all key terms highlighted in text.
2. Additional Flashcards: Family Studies, Twin Studies, Adoption Studies, Five important ethical guidelines for psych research,