Sunday, December 11, 2011

Learning Links


(Note, the links to videos are to YouTube, so you can't watch them at school unless you are an awesome hacker and know a proxy work-around, also I have not tested some of these links this year, so please let me know if any are not working.)

Classical Conditioning:

Does the name "Pavlov" ring a bell?

Try your hand at conditioning Pavlov's Dog in this animation on the Nobel Prize site.

Here is the John Watson Little Albert video clip we saw in class. It has Spanish subtitles which is nice.

This article on the APA website describes how some college students figured out who "Little Albert" really was and what happened after the famous (infamous) conditioning experiment.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2010/01/little-albert.aspx


Unfortunately we don't know if is fear of furry things lasted beyond Watson's research.


Operant Conditioning:
BF Skinner and his beloved pigeons

Here is the Skinner video clip we will see in class.

B.F. Skinner shaping a pigeon to turn around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtfQlkGwE2U

And pigeons playing ping-pong? 


Observational Learning:
Bandura's Bobo Doll experiment... ouch

Here is a video of Bandura's Bobo doll experiment.

This Australian commercialshows how observational learning can affect kids.

1 comment:

giovannig said...

Giovanni Gomez
review

Phineas Gage:A Gruesome but True Story About Brain Science


I personally like the way the book was written and the information it provided. Although there where some parts that caught me off track of were my focus was supposed to be, on Phineas brain injury. Some of the vocabulary did strike me as odd because I didn’t understand it so i had to do research to get a better understanding of what it meant. I was actually hoping to see an actual picture of Phineas with the tamping iron in his head. Overall I liked the book, I never got distracted from reading it, reading a part just got me curious about what would happen next and so on. I found out that back then surgery and medicine were practiced way different than how it is now a days. This is a book i would recommend to a friend, to show them how such a bizarre brain injury could still leave that person living, how their personality changes by an injury and also just to be able to see how much science, biology, and psychology play in the role of humans.
What made it more interesting to me was that it’s not something out of a comic book, This story although gruesome and bizarre is true about brain science.